NEW YORK, February 25, 2021 — The McSilver Institute and a coalition of community partners and elected leaders hosted a virtual community forum to address street harassment and harassment in other public spaces, especially in light of recent violent incidents in Northern Manhattan. U.S. Rep. Adriano Espaillat and Manhattan Borough President Gale A. Brewer made opening remarks, and experts from the Hollaback! presented a bystander intervention training. NYU McSilver Chief Operating Officer Rose Pierre-Louis moderated the discussion.
Key takeaways from the program can be found at NYU McSilver’s Twitter feed.
Learn more about what do to if you experience or witness street harassment at Hollaback!
This Virtual Forum Was Sponsored By
- The Greater New York Chapter of the Links (lead sponsor)
- Hollaback! (lead sponsor)
- NYU McSilver Institute (lead sponsor)
- Canaan Baptist Church
- Connect NYC
- East Harlem Tutorial Program
- Frederick Douglass Blvd Alliance
- Harlem Boys and Girls Club
- New York Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
- One Hundred Black Men
- Union Settlement
- Kappa Beta Sigma Chapter of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, inc
- Wall Street Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.
- Manhattan Community Board 10
- Manhattan Community Board 11
- The NYC Commission on Gender Equity
- Mayor’s Office to End Gender Based and Domestic Violence
In Partnership With
- U.S. Representative Adriano Espailliat
- NYC Comptroller Scott Stringer
- Manhattan Borough President Gale Brewer
- NYS Senator Brian A. Benjamin
- NYS Senator Robert Jackson
- Assemblymember Inez E. Dickens
- Assemblymember Robert Rodriguez
- Assemblymember Al Taylor
- NYC Councilmember Diana Ayala
- NYC Councilmember Bill Perkins