The AI Hub at McSilver
The AI Hub at McSilver has been established to investigate how artificial intelligence-driven (AI) systems can be used to equitably address poverty and challenges relating to race and public health, and to provide thought leadership on the implications. This work has been made possible by a $5 million gift from philanthropists Martin Silver and Dr. Constance McCatherin Silver. Read about the gift.
Forums & Events
On October 12, 2022, The AI Hub at NYU McSilver shared an illuminating discussion featuring several leading powerhouses in the AI ethics space. Dr. Timnit Gebru, founder and executive director of the Distributed Artificial Intelligence Research Institute (DAIR) and Minerva Tantoco, NYU McSilver’s Chief AI Officer, spoke with moderator Christopher Hemphill, a highly-regarded data scientist who is Director of Commercial Intelligence at Woebot Health.
In Conversation with Dr. Timnit Gebru and Minerva Tantoco on Ethical AI addressed the potential harms of AI, as well as best practices to improve the ethical use of AI techniques. The discussion was the inaugural event in The AI Hub’s 2022–2023 Speaker Series.
- Investigate how AI systems can be used to equitably address poverty and challenges relating to race and public health.
- Provide national thought leadership on the implications of AI relating to race, public health and inequality.
- Build on the McSilver Institute’s work to answer whether AI can be used to better predict suicide rates and behaviors by race, geography, income and other demographic variables
- Develop additional innovative public health research and interventions using predictive analytics and other AI tools.
- Examine how data is gathered and processed for use by artificial intelligence and identify potential biases and inequities.
- Advocate for methods and policies that do not perpetuate inequities for people in underserved and marginalized populations.
- Help to advance NYU’s leadership in the use of AI to tackle complex social problems, in alignment with the university’s Strategies to Reduce Inequality initiative.
Work with Us
The McSilver Institute is currently looking for new team members.
Learn more about openings and apply online.
Learn More About NYU McSilver’s Work
The McSilver Institute’s research focus involves developing evidence-based interventions to address the consequences of inequality, racism and poverty.
Suicide and Mental Health Research
NYU McSilver Institute’s mission to disrupt the root causes of poverty includes a focus on health disparities, particularly research, programs and policy development to address trends in suicide and mental health disparities.
Stay connected with the McSilver Institute through email.
In Conversation with Timnit Gebru and Minerva Tantoco on Ethical AI
NYU McSilver Appoints Minerva Tantoco as Chief AI Officer
McSilver Creates Hub to Address Impact of AI on Poverty, Race and Public Health
Read More News About the AI Hub