NEW YORK, April 27, 2022 — NYU McSilver Institute Chief Operating Officer Rose Pierre-Louis has been appointed by New York City’s Metropolitan Transportation Authority to a blue ribbon “Fareness” panel that will develop recommendations to reduce fare evasion across the MTA system.
The panel members will focus on innovative approaches to encourage fare payment through education, equity, and enforcement. They will also look at how technological, design, and personnel solutions can help limit fare evasion.
“Fare evasion is a problem we need to solve together,” said MTA Chair and CEO Janno Lieber, in a released statement. “That’s why I am convening a panel of distinguished New Yorkers to take a deep dive into the issue. The goal is to hit the reset button on how we approach fare evasion at the MTA and across government.”
- David Banks, Chancellor, NYC Department of Education
- Matthew Fishbein, Former Executive Assistant District Attorney, Kings County; former partner, Debevoise & Plimpton; former Chief of Criminal Division, U.S. Attorney’s Office, Southern District of New York and former First Assistant U.S. Attorney, Eastern District of New York
- Michael Hardy, Executive Vice President and General Counsel, National Action Network
- David Jones, President and CEO, Community Service Society; MTA Board Member
- Roger Maldonado, Partner, Smith Gambrell LLP; former president, New York City Bar Association
- Melva Miller, CEO, Association for a Better New York
- Rosemonde Pierre-Louis, COO, McSilver Institute for Poverty Policy & Research, NYU
- Kate Slevin, Executive Vice President, Regional Plan Association
- Michael Sonberg, Retired Judge, New York City Criminal Court and Retired Acting Justice, New York Supreme Court; former President, International Association of LGBTQ Judges
- Natalia Quintero, Senior VP of Innovation, Partnership for the City of New York and Founding Director of Transit Innovation Lab
- Zachary Tumin, Adjunct Professor of International and Public Affairs, Columbia University; former NYPD Deputy Commissioner for Strategic Initiatives
- Jo-Ann Yoo, Executive Director, Asian American Federation